Monday, June 23, 2008

Puzzle Piece Beast


Welllll... I'll break the weekend silence with a conceptual piece I was messing around with. This is constructed from screenshots of "The Adventures of Prince Achmed " by Lotte Reiniger. The idea was to make a large creature covered in puzzle piece designs of various odd animals with some pieces coming off revealing empty spaces in the shape of those creatures. I'll be using this to sketch from and rework into a more interesting composition, specifically changing up the negative spaces around the legs. The final version will be full color and part of a small series of colored pencil artworks I'm doing right now. I don't know how close I'll be sticking to the Reiniger beast, the tail and snout were collaged in as well as the back fin looking things that are actually shrunk down ears, but I'll probably stick close to this odd elephant like shape.

4 comments:

Human Mollusk said...

Haha, awesome Aeron - and it's funny when I saw the monster, whithout even reading the text; I immediately thought "Reiniger". Great hommage!

zeke said...

I love the goofy, cartoony look to the elephant creature and having the puzzle pieces come off is ace.

SEAN said...

This would make an awesome side-scroller boss, where you shoot the little guys off the big guy & have to kill them too. Sun Ra's cover of "Pink Elephants" immediately started playing in my mind when i saw this as well.

Paleo said...

Yeah, the foot of the first leg from the left should be farther to the left..it is a bitching drawing though

I was just wondering about big ass murals were you got to do the white silhouette inside the black silhouette, but the canvas/wall is big enough to let you do this several times over? like one creature inside one creature inside one creature inside one creature...