Sunday, July 06, 2008

Digital Color

So I have showed a few examples of my hand-drawn colored stuff that I have been doing recently and wanted to post a couple that fall into thedigital color category. I am trying to fuse together the woodcut/art nuevo highly inked style I have been doing for years now along with a more simple blue line aspect (similar to illustrations you might see on the side of a macaroni or bandaid box but sloppier-the second image does not have this in it) and join it together with a very dark background approach taht is super low contrast when printed but spot colored here and there with flourescents. Not actual flourescent inks of course, but I am working on two blacklight posters right now which I will produce in that manner and I think working on them led me to create this color scheme.

4 comments:

mostyn said...

Hi Chad, I just wanted to say how much I love your work. I love the line quality and my background in relief printing resonates as well to the first image. I love the mystery and narrative you have. Great job. A new fan achieved.

Luke P. said...

Welcome back Chad! glad you accepted. I like the pallete- and the lines are always good ( do I detect some intentional rattiness to the wood panel on the bottomt image? Is that a recent addition?) . I could maybe see going a little crazier with the color though, maybe try introducing a randomly selected color and go from there. It looks good as is, but it doesnt hit me as hard as your use of that deep orange, for instance.

Newman Cruise said...

it`s always lame when all you want to say is `god, brilliant` but `god, briliant.`

Aeron said...

Interesting approach with the colors, you might try messing around with different shades of grey to imply more depth in the imagery unless you want to push a sort of flatness that could fit into this almost medieval illustrated manuscript style.